Protecting our heritage
- Preservation of local heritage values in residential streets and protection from inappropriate development. I recently worked with local residents in Delta Street to protect its unique streetscape.
- Preservation and protection of the historic Maling Road shopping centre. Any development of the site of Bradshaws Motors must be sympathetic with Maling Road's character.
- Local residents have strongly opposed the scale and character of some recent multi-occupancy developments such as at 75 Essex Road. We need to preserve and re-use iconic buildings rather than destroying them.
Safe and sustainable local transport
- There is excessive congestion and traffic on many side streets, especially around schools.
- Making it safer and encouraging students to walk or cycle to local schools including Canterbury and Chatham Primary Schools, Canterbury Girls Secondary College, Camberwell High School, Fintona Girls School, Sienna College and Strathcona.
- We need a family-friendly safe cycling route through Maling Ward (the Hawthorn to Box Hill Trail) that connects the Union Rd shopping centre with Maling Road and through to the Anniversary Shared Trail and Camberwell Junction.
- There is a shortage of off-leash areas for dog walkers in Maling Ward. I support the Friends of South Surrey Park request for a South West portion of South Surrey Park to be designated as an off-leash area, with the rest of the park remaining "on-leash".
- We can provide more activities and events for young people so they can meet for recreation and social interaction. I would seek to provide more support for the programs offered by the Boroondara Youth Services team.
- More funds are required for improvement of local shopping strips such as Union Road, Maling Road and Balwyn Road centres.
- Many properties in Boroondara have been recently revalued resulting in significant rate increases for many residents. In particular, many people on low or fixed incomes have been impacted. An elderly Maling Ward resident has told me she has found it difficult to pay for recent rate increases.
Map of locations and issues in Maling Ward
View Maling Ward issues in a larger map